Saturday, April 4, 2009

From Bright to the Blue Mountains and Beyond

Been bouncing around a lot over the last week or so. I left Bright last Monday after a few days of great flying. The last day in Bright graced Brian Webb and I with a 55k triangle that took us into the marvelous Kiewa valley. Brian competed the triangle with superb style, while I got stuck half way through but still managed to limp my way back to Bright. The day before this there was the final task of the Mount Beauty Classic, a fun friendly competition similar to the US's XC League. Luck was on my side this day as I was able to race through the 40k course super fast and arrive first in goal. Leaving Bright Nina and I had the chance to ride on a train for 8hrs so we took it; After arriving in Sydney we simply couldn't end our day so quick (leaving at 5am that morning) so we rode another train for 2 hours into the Blue mountains. The Blue Mountains graced us with terrible weather and great company. We stayed for 3 days at our friends Andy and Susi McMurry's home, and I mean we stayed at their home, we hardly left the house as it rained the entire time and was so foggy we couldn't see across street. After this we moved roots to Sydney to our friend Magdy's house which is an awesome place in the woods. Yesterday we kited and flew the coast for around four hours; it was picturesque flying over steep oceanfront cliffs. It was an amazing day of flying and hanging out with great friends, I even managed to get in a few nontraditional tandem flights. Tonight we, Magdy, Gaynor, Nina and I, are going to a lovely restaurant for dinner, Max Brennan's; this place is a sit down/takeaway restaurant that only serves chocolate and chocolate covered food. Please don't feel to bad for me, its not as bad as it sounds.

The pictures below are of the Big Walk and of yesterday's coastal flying. I took the pictures from the Big Walk and Magdy took all the flying shots except for the last one which I took. Magdy takes really good pictures.








2 comments: