Friday, February 27, 2009

Bingara Again! :(

Yesterday was supposed to be a high cloud base day with a nice strong tailwind. We were hoping that this would be the day for crushing some huge distance; I was looking to fly around 150-200k. The day turned out to be a lower cloud base day with hardly any tailwind and mainly weak climbs. There were clouds popping through the day but their lives were short lived as they would quickly evaporate just after they had formed.

I started the day with a strong climb out from launch, while many others were stuck low working a different part of the ridge. I then quickly hopped down a few clouds the North 10k to the end of the Borah ridge system. At this point I was all alone with only my friend Mark super low out in front of me. This was not encouraging so I waited for a few friends to catch up. After we all established in a group we pushed north spreading out and taking different lines. I came quite close to landing at this point but managed a low save just 100 meters over the ground. (Note, I wrote a monster of a blog post and when attempting to post it the connection failed, the above portion was the only part that was saved, to rest of this post will be an abbreviation of what I had previously written.)

The day was slow with light thermals, blue holes and a number of low saves. This was this third time that I have flown to Bingara but it was different from the rest, it was hard work. The other two times I flew this route, and most of the flights I have had here in general have been graced with good clouds and flying that was mainly high away from the ground the entire time. When you fly a cross country route and you stay really high the entire flight it is nice an relaxing with the feeling that you will never land and you have all the options in the world. A flight like yesterday that brings you close to landing many times brings out a different set of emotions. At times, low to the ground and almost landing, you feel desperate and like you have no options at all. On this flight a number of times I felt that I was using my only chance to make a low save and this is mentally stressfully, it is not relaxing at all. But, with these times come the low saves and with the low saves come a entirely different emotional wave. At times yesterday I felt SO HAPPY that I had found a climb, and so thrilled that I was not going to have to land in the hot Australian sun. This flight was different in character and subsequently different in emotion. It was more intense, more emotional, and more stressful. It was blssfull at times and almost manic at others. In the end it all worked out to be a great day.

I ended up flying 95k, Brian Webb flew about the same, and Meredith flew a personal best flying over the boys after they had landed and pushing on to fly some 120 kilometers! Congratulations Meredith!!!

Today I will rest and then we will drive to Killarney, 5 hours north. Tomorrow the Killarney Competition starts and it is going to be a blast. We are hoping for huge flights, fast racing and podium positions.

Below are a few pictures that Mr. Brian Webb took of me on yesterday's flight.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a hell of a ride! Too bad about the connection problems/losing part of the story. I'll want to hear it in person though!

    Good luck in the comp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Peter!
    Looks like fun in the sun down under...
    A few days ago in the Torre Valley, we watched Sean, cant remember his last name, BASE jump off the diving board feature near the summit of El Mocho, repeating Dean Potters first descent. The conditions were less than ideal to say the least, strong wind gusts and an approaching storm!! He free fell for about 500m, then wing-suited across the glacier, popped his chute "early" and was then sucked up by thermals high above the summits. It was pretty freaky to watch him being gusted around on the small BASE chute on his first "paragliding experience"!! Thankfully he landed safely on the ice after 10 minutes of fighting the Patagonia wind gods!! Stay tuned for video footage on the next Sender film, the crew was on site shooting.
    Take care Peter!

    ReplyDelete