Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sending

Yesterday was the last day of the manilla xc open and we finally got to fly a valid task. I dont have much time to describe everything as I must go flying, so I will try and sum it up quick.

The day started off slow with really weak climbs over launch. The thermals were averaging 100 feet per minute so it was a bit frustrating. Once high over launch I headed north with the lead group, with a few pilots slightly ahead. The beginning was slow going and huge clouds were developing out in front of us just off course line. One of these clouds developed into a cumulus nimbus that began to rain hard just 10-15k to our west. The climbs were slow, which meant it took forever to pass by this monster cloud.

Eventually we passed by the cloud and kept working down the edge of the darkness. In the end I broke off from the group and pushed out front alone , under some dark clouds that I had mixed emotions about. This line took me on a 35k final glide under a cloud street. I got rained on in the end of the glide just above the ground and my gear got a bit wet. I landed in Bingara, 95k away from where I started a few hours earlier. This was the only valid task of this competition so the overall results were only based on this day. Out of 116 pilots I placed 9th, yeehah!

I took all of the pictures shown here. A few were meant to document the skies and 2 were meant to document the mustache which I trimmed for the first time yesterday. I cant quite get a picture to do it justice mainly because it is fully blonde.






No comments:

Post a Comment