Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More Sending

So, the xc open comp ended but the flying goes on as it must.

The day after the comp had great potential and I left launch early with a few friends under puffy clouds and light winds. After 30k we reached the flatlands and it looked as if we were early on our arrival. The puffy cumulus clouds that we had ridden to this point now ended and there was nothing but blue skies ahead. Two other pilots and I pushed out onto the flats and the possibility of finding a good climb looked grim. Given this I maybe should have followed the main road but didn't. I pushed north towards some good looking clouds but simply did not make it. I landed on some property in the middle of nowhere, walked 4k to a farm where I met a nice elderly farmer and his wife. They offered to drive me to the main road but insisted that they had to have "tea" first. We had cold drinks and some snacks together at their house and after this they drove my back to the main road. This was a full on treat of genuine Australian hospitality. The flight was no where near the potential for the day, but that was no matter, it was great fun and brought me a huge smile that I am still wearing.

This monster of a smile stayed on my face all day yesterday as well. This day graced me with a personal best flight, I flew a monster 100k (62 mile) triangle, landing just 4k from my takeoff point. Meredith, Alex, Brian Webb, and JJ were great company through most all of the flight. There were many highlights throughout this epic 5.5 hour flight including cloud flying, great climbs, getting low in no man's land, and a final glide of 20k under a convergence line at 6pm. I posted it on xc contest and will try and post a few of my other good flights soon.

Today I attempted to fly a 80k out and return with Brian Webb, though it ended as little more than a good attempt. A strong headwind and and some sink drove me to the ground just 20k into the flight. No worries though, I am fully content, and still sore from yesterday's epic triangle.

Below are some pictures of the epic triangle flight, as well as two videos. I think the first video is best viewed for the first time with the volume turned all the way off. The second one was taken on the final leg of the 100k triangle.










4 comments:

  1. looks epic. vids are sweet. keep sending

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Nice job in the comp too! I was having problems commenting the other day...

    Sounds like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the ninth place. Yeah, the videos are definitely fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems that you have a good time since we're gone :-) Nice pics and vids, I don't want to coment the flights, it hurts... ;-)

    Have added a link to your blog on our 'friends' section.

    Urs
    www.airadicts.ch

    ReplyDelete